Monday, September 25, 2006

TO WRITE: What are you willing to risk?
In her book on depression You Are Not Alone, Julia Thorne writes:

"Getting better means taking risks. The first risks I took were physical, like starting ballet classes at age 37. Then, I took emotional ones. I began expressing my thoughts. I joined a support group. I made new friends. If there is something good for you that feels emotionally risky, try writing it down. Sometimes seeing it in print gives you courage."

Play with this...
Take five minutes to make a list of things you could do for yourself that feel "risky." Then choose one and write continuously for 15 minutes. Imagine clearly how you could do that thing and describe in detail how it would feel. The next day, reread what you've written and see if you've gained any courage.
Beth

No comments: