Tuesday, March 04, 2008

TO WRITE: Just Wastin' Time
Here in the U.S. many people feel that there's something "wrong" about just sitting and letting the mind wander for a while sometimes. There are things to do! This idea is so prevalent that many believe they shouldn't even do one thing at a time, but must multi-task. Now that I'm feeling considerably less depressed lately, I find myself succumbing to this thinking at times too. But honestly, if I stop to think, I feel that occasional time spent reflecting on the day and composing my thoughts or "spacing out" is a wonderful activity.

If you're depressed, chances are good that even accomplishing the simplest activities may seem overwhelming -- whether it's making it to the office on time or just getting your teeth brushed. When I've been in such states, I tend to chastise myself for not getting off the sofa and acting; I ruminate about what others are getting done. But from a now-healthy perspective, I see I should sometimes let myself relax and doze freely or flip through a magazine without guilt. I'm not arguing that we shouldn't fight like tigers to get well, but that now and then, guilt-free "wasting" time is healthy.

Play with this. . .
Write continuously for 20 minutes starting with "When I waste time. . ." You may want to consider what you do, when you do it, and for how long. How do you feel about it at the time or afterward? Would you like to adjust the amount or frequency of your "wasting" time, or perhaps your attitude toward it? (Maybe you want to go for a walk or stare at the wall for a half hour before you write this. . . .)

No comments: